Monday 11 June 2012

My Code of Ethics

Most of my teenager years and during my early foray into adulthood i had always thought i had strong morals and that simply having strong morals was enough to make you a good person, someone who could sleep easy at night. Growing up wasn't easy, it wasn't a walk in the park, it was hard (having said that, walk's during the park when under the influence can indeed be difficult...i stand corrected...by myself o.O). It wasn't until a few weeks ago where i think i had the ever so cliche "Epiphany". I was inspired by a movie 'Act of Valor' an amazing true story about bravery, being a 'real' man, family, honor etc etc. One of the best moments in the film is where a man writes a letter to the infant son of one of him fallen mates, telling the son about the man his father was, the code of conduct he lived by. I was thus inspired to write my own code of conduct, as follows:

In no particular order (and unedited):

- Pursue what you are passionate about and what makes you happy
- Give praise where praise is due
- Don't be afraid of success, make it your friend
- Never lie, cheat or steal
- Be genuinely happy for those that deserve it
- Don't judge people before you get to know them
- People shouldn't be treated differently no matter their race, gender, religion, sexual preference
- Hard work is rewarded in the end, so persevere and see things through
- Have an iron will
- Help those you are able to help
- know that you have the power to make a positive change in this world
- enjoy life's little victories, be truly proud of any successes, no matter how small they might seem
- Smile
- take a moment to reflect on all that is well with your life
- be caring, understanding and patient with those that need it
- Stand up for yourself when the situation demands it
- Never give up
- dare to dream, take a risk and enjoy the journey rather then focus on the destination
- dont let people walk over the top of you
- be thankful for what you have, don't dwell on what you don't have
- take the most rewarding path not simply the easiest one
- Surround yourself with good people
- 42
- try to make atleast one person laugh/smile per day

That's my code of ethics and the things that i truly value and pride myself on. What are the 3 traits you value most and pride yourself on? :D

6 comments:

  1. That's a really great list and one I'm going to take on board for myself. I saw an interview with Jerry Seinfeld where he said he once sat down and thought to himself "What are my three rules for life? If I had to sum it all up in three sentences, what would they be?" The three he came up with were

    Bust your ass
    Pay attention
    Fall in love.

    That is a perfect summary of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. As for Jerry's 3, i completely agree. That would be a nice summary of my list except for the fall in love bit, that certainly needs addressing.

      Delete
    2. Why are you against falling in love?

      Delete
    3. Im not. It just didn't occur at the time to include that in my code. I believe in the concept but due to my track record, my faith in the concept isn't as strong as it should be

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of trying to make at least one person laugh/smile every day.

    That one can definitely influence the world.

    Is 42 more of an answer than an ethic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can easily change the world if the person you made laugh also took it onboard as well. Its something im trying to implement at work but that is for another post :D

      42? hmm, not really sure why thats on there...perhaps i meant cryptically that i shouldn't go through life thinking that there is one single quantifiable, magic answer on how to life a good life? Hmmmmmm

      Delete